unique visitor counter

8.18.2006

On Sports

Sports play a big role in my life. Their beginning ushers in the fall, and their end signals the start of summer. In many instances, sports frame my memories, providing me a context for everything else. I can't even imagine how many hours I've spent watching one sport or another, loving the suspense they provide.

As another sports season begins, for the first time I find myself questioning which season has me most excited. It should be an easy decision, but I've found that in this case, ratings are futile. Thinking about it abstractly, NFL football is my favorite, but I don't think that's an accurate evaluation. The NFL does a better job than any sports league at promoting the idea of the game (yes, including baseball with all that crap about keeping score while eating peanuts and hot-dogs). As a result, I don't think of flags, or 30-second huddles between each snap. I think of some massive hit, or a 50 yard run for a touchdown by Barry Sanders. In truth, these are rare occurrences, but the marketing strategy has been so effective it's arrested my sub-conscious.

While I love college football, it can't be my favorite. There are so few meaningful games, and allegiance to a team is a difficult thing outside of an alma-mater, as faces change so rapidly. What is there to hold onto besides memories of college, or proximity to schools. I suppose in certain cases, Virginia Tech and CSU included, I root for the coaches.

Now, while I'm new to following soccer, I've learned to enjoy it more than I ever thought I could. What I used to think mundane is now beautiful in it's blending of creativity and skill. When I see a great play in soccer, it reminds me of truly inspirational play in basketball. While football, "the ultimate team sport" is a measure at how well a group of players can follow a script, success in basketball, and to a greater degree soccer, is dependent on how well players can play together without a script. The latter is far more difficult, and when accomplished, much more satisfying. Unfortunately, basketball at the pro level is only enjoyable in the playoffs, when the players actually care more about a win than their new rims or strippers. And, at the college level, the degradation of talent as it flees to the NBA early has clearly eroded the degree of teamwork and skill that we were used to seeing.

I guess my point in this whole rant is that I'm hopeful at some point I can say soccer is my favorite sport. At this time, the NFL and it's insidious marketing ploys have my mind, if not my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home